Greening Your Apartment
In my short time at CET I’ve gotten numerous questions about how to make an apartment “green”. While it may feel like your options are limited – and to some extent they are – there are some great ways to green your apartment and make a significant impact on your carbon footprint. Here are some quick apartment-friendly things that can help you save energy and reduce waste.
- Get rid of those vampires! Leaving your chargers, computers, hair products, and electronics plugged in can have an enormous impact on the energy you use. Invest in power strips that will allow you to discontinue energy flow to multiple suckers with a quick switch. If you’re feeling like taking it a step further grab a smart power strip.
- Compost! You can get affordable countertop compost bins from EcoBuilding Bargains. I have one and so far no odors plus a convenient place for me to put organic waste. Then you can make your very own vermicomposting system which utilizes worms that you can use anywhere. This infographic gives you great directions.
- Light Up! You’ve heard it a million times, replace your incandescent bulbs with CFLs and you’ll save money on your energy bill each month and reduce your energy use. CFL bulbs use a quarter of the energy of incandescent and last up to ten times longer. LED bulbs have an even bigger impact -50 times longer than an incandescent! It’s also super easy to do and you won’t have to think about it again for years. You can find energy efficient bulbs in our EcoBuilding Bargains store.
- Become a programming genius! Pay attention to your thermostat. Setting it 8 degrees lower in the winter and 5 degrees higher in the summer when you’re away or sleeping can have a tremendous effect on how much energy you save. The difference of even two degrees can save up to 2000 pounds of carbon dioxide according to greenlivingapartments.com.
- Rack on! Get a drying rack to cut down on your electric bill and energy use. Use drying racks for clothes and dishes when possible. Bonus! When you air dry clothes they last longer and you reduce the risk that they will shrink.
- Be a passive roommate! Use passive solar to grow plants and boost your spirits. The sun is a great free resource that you can use to grow decorative plants, grow a small herb garden, and bask in it to boost your spirits. Your roommate will love you for using passive solar instead of being passive aggressive.
Are you a go green renter? Find us on social media and tell us about how you have made your apartment an energy saving, waste reducing, power house. Pun intended.