Make Your 4th of July Red, White, Blue, and GREEN!
Summer is here, and party season is in full swing. With Independence Day just around the corner, there are preparations to be made! We have some tips to help you save some money, reduce your waste, and make your 4th of July green, as well as red, white, and blue!
- Bring reusable bags while shopping for supplies and food.
- Ask guests to RSVP so that you can get the right amount of food and drinks. This will reduce wasted food and also prevent you from spending unnecessary money.
- Choose natural or reusable decorations and reduce buying plastic items that will be thrown away.
Food and Drinks
- Buy local food! Food from major supermarkets often travels over 1000 miles to reach your table. However, buying local, seasonal food supports local farmers and reduces your carbon footprint.
- Buy drinks in large containers rather than individual ones. You can purchase drinks in two-liter bottles or gallon jugs to reduce waste.
- Serve food and drinks in reusable or recyclable products, rather than single-use ones, to reduce waste.
During the Party
- Grill with the hood down to increase energy efficiency and evenly distribute heat.
- Use an ice bucket rather than a refrigerator to keep drinks cold. This will prevent guests from constantly opening and closing a refrigerator which wastes money and energy.
- Have clear signage and bins for recycling, trash, and compost so that guests are not confused where everything goes when they need to dispose of things.
After the Party
- Use a dishwasher for large amounts of dirty dishes rather than hand-washing each one. This is a more efficient way to clean dishes and not waste water and energy.
- Save some leftovers for you and your friends to enjoy during the following days. Saving food in re-usable containers, instead of getting rid of it, will reduce wasted food.
- Clean with reusable cloths instead of paper towels. These can be washed and reused, which reduces unnecessary waste!