Happy 2019! Now is the perfect time to think about resolutions that you can make to have a more environmentally-friendly year. Whether it’s eating red meat only once a week instead of three times a week, using biodegradable cleaning products, or using a reusable water bottle instead of a plastic one, there are efforts that can really make a difference. No matter how small your “green” actions may seem, actively thinking about your choices is what matters. You have to start somewhere, so start small and ease your way into adopting these resolutions. Good luck!
1. Bring a reusable bag and water bottle with you
- Reusable bags are a great alternative to plastic bags. They are relatively cheap, last a long time, and help preserve the planet. It takes up to 100-400 years for plastic to break down at the landfill and even when plastic does breakdown, it breaks down into microscopic pieces of plastic that are still non-biodegradable.
- According to the EPA, each week, Americans buy enough plastic water bottles to circle the earth 5 times! If you use a reusable water bottle, it saves you money in the long run and is an easy switch to help you and the environment.
2. Eliminate phantom energy
- Phantom energy, also known as vampire energy, is the energy used by electronic devices that continue to draw power even though they are “off.”
- Energy vampires can add up to nearly 10% of a household’s monthly electric bill. By using smart power strips you can save money and energy!