Green Team, Green Team, Learn All About It!
It’s that time of year again: GREEN TEAM registration for the 2018-2019 school year is now open! If you are a Massachusetts student, teacher, or parent interested in school programs that foster environmental and sustainable learning for all ages, GREEN TEAM registration may be the perfect opportunity! This environmental school program can help with handling the often chaotic process of planning, organizing, and running an environmental program for your school.
What is THE GREEN TEAM?
THE GREEN TEAM is a state-wide environmental education program, sponsored by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection and administered by the Center for EcoTechnology. THE GREEN TEAM offers interactive, engaging, and fun educational programming while at the same time providing tools for students and teachers to learn more about how to address key issues of environmental sustainability.
THE GREEN TEAM provides teachers with lesson plans and activities aligned with current Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Curriculum Frameworks including: Science and Technology/Engineering, Mathematics, and English Language Arts.
This free program is available to students in grades K-12 and teachers are able to register online.
How does it work?
When your classroom becomes a participating member of THE GREEN TEAM, you will receive a GREEN TEAM classroom kit. You will also be eligible to receive free waste reduction equipment including recycling and compost bins. THE GREEN TEAM classroom kit includes educational materials such as lesson plans, a classroom poster, and tips and activities detailing ways to Go Green!
- Lesson topics include waste reduction, reuse, recycling, composting, energy conservation, and pollution prevention.
- In addition, each classroom that takes THE GREEN TEAM Pledge will receive an official Certificate of Recognition, and will be eligible for exciting end-of-the-year prizes!
GREEN TEAM 2017-2018 Highlights:
Last year more than 56,000 Massachusetts students from 287 schools participated in THE GREEN TEAM! The GREEN TEAM Photo Gallery highlights all of the great work that GREEN TEAM schools are doing across Massachusetts. Here are just a few examples for inspiration!
- In Ashburnham, Oakmont Regional High School students created a plastic pollution fishing game to raise awareness during Green Week.
- Students at Brackett Elementary School in Arlington created this amazing art project about the valuable role trees play in ecosystems.
- Members of the Green Thumb Team at Loker Elementary School in Wayland led a ceremony for the planting of a tree donated by the graduating fifth grade class in honor of Arbor Day. They also used school-made compost to plant seedlings in their school garden.
In the 2017-2018 school year, THE GREEN TEAM created a cafeteria source separation instructional video detailing steps on how to divert cafeteria food waste in a K-12 setting.
If you are interested in becoming a member of THE GREEN TEAM, please register online today! For more information, or to print and fax/mail a paper registration form, please visit www.thegreenteam.org.