Greening Your New Year’s Party
Your Guide to a Green New Year’s Party
By Chiara Favaloro, Marketing Fellow
- Invitations: Be sustainable from the start by sending your guests paperless invitations! You can easily create a Facebook event or design an electronic invitation that you can email, but will looks just as fancy as a paper one.
- Decorating: When setting up your festive space, decorate sustainably by having soy or beeswax candles, strings of LED lights hung around the room, festive flowers or plants, and an organic edible fruit basket centerpiece! You can also make your own confetti out of old magazines and newspapers to throw when the clock strikes 12.
- Party Supplies: Eliminate plastic and Styrofoam from your party by using real glasses and ceramic plates. If you do not have enough, you can always rent more from a company. Or if you must use disposable, make sure they are recyclable or compostable. The lack of plastic will also add elegance to your party decor!Waste
- Management: Make recycling and compost bins easily accessible to guests during the party. Making large labels to eliminate confusion will help save you from unnecessary sorting later.
- Party Favors: As guests leave, give them a party favor that will help them go green all year long! Reusable water bottles or tote bags can be used and enjoyed by all.
Resolve to use our tips to make your party an exciting and sustainable start to 2017. From all of us at the Center for EcoTechnology, Happy New Year!